Friday 15 April 2016

Evaluation question 2

  How does your media product represent particular social groups ?



During the research and planning section of my work, i used UK tribes and my own knowledge to research the style and interests of my target audience. I had to make sure that my magazine fitted the right audience which was the 'ALT'group on UK tribes which i talked about in my audience profile. Knowing this information about my audience, i could figure out what kind of bands i needed to feature in my magazine and how they would need styling. Kerrang magazine is a very popular magazine for my target audience. So for this reason i looked at the artists on the cover of some Kerrang magazines and what kind of clothes they were wearing. As the 'ALT' category has a very large range of music styles, it was hard to get an idea of a style for my artist. To overcome this i picked the style of rock/alternative music i wanted my artist to be and i went off that. I decided to use a girl as my artist because there are not many bands with a female vocalist in this scene so more people will be interested in this. Using a girl on my cover will attract males due to the 'male gaze' an females who may be inspired by her. The girl i used as my artist falls into that 'ALT' group herself which made her easier to style. I asked her to bring a range of clothes to the shoots so that i could put together a few outfits with. From the start i had an image in  my head to style my model as Taylor Momsen because of their music genre and their style choices. In the photos she wears a lot of black or dark colour which is very much the idea of what i wanted. A black leather jacket with black jeans was the main look that i was going for. I got this particular idea from looking into the style of my artist inspiration (Taylor Momsen- top right) and a current kerrang magazine cover as it had the same background colour as me and the black really made the artist stand out. My target audience has a really wide age range because of the wide spread of music within it which made it difficult to create a magazine for everyone. I chose to use a model who is younger because i feel magazines in general are aimed at a younger audience. I also chose to do this because everyone likes to hear abut new upcoming bands and a younger artist can connect more with the younger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment