Friday, 15 April 2016

Evaluation question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task (the school magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

The three images at the top are the covers from my preliminary (school magazine cover), my music magazine draft cover and my final music magazine cover. You can see the development from my prelim being very minimalistic through my two music magazine covers being quite busy and full of colour. Just by adding coloured boxes around some of the text can make a large difference in making that text stand out and crating a more busy look. As you can see, i have kept a line of text/banner at the bottom of all these magazine covers. The development to the draft cover shows the significance of adding a coloured box which is highlighting the text and i have made another improvement to the banner at the bottom by finding the correct colours that outline the banner and fit within the colour scheme. Sticking to a colour scheme and finding the correct one to attract my audience is also something i have learnt from my preliminary task to now. As you can see, my preliminary magazine is very dull, it used a black and white colour pallet and the only colour comes from one object in the picture. As the magazine was aimed at students, the colour pallet doesn't attract the target audience at all because the magazine comes across very formal. Then in my draft, i chose a more colourful pallet which would attract my audience but i didn't use it very well, for example, the blue banner at the bottom would've looked better yellow as blue doesn't appear anywhere else on the cover. Finally, on my final cover, i think i used a very appropriate and correct colour pallet throughout, I only used 4 colours to keep it simple, all of which compliment each other and help each other stand out.

I have learnt how much images contribute to making an attractive magazine for a specific target audience. For example, my preliminary wouldn't appeal to many people in my target audience because it only contains one image which is the cover image. Students would appeal more to a magazine with many images and less text. I decided to have examples of the posters within my magazine on the cover, that way the audience knows what too expect inside and means there will not be as much text on the inside which is what a younger audience likes. In terms of the quality of the images themselves, i think i have improved a lot. On my preliminary magazine i did not use any lighting to light my model which made the image quite dull. By the time i created my final music magazine, i knew how to properly light my model and how to arrange the lights to highlight any features i wanted to highlight on them. My use of camera angles has increased as i used a range of shots such as mid shot and long shot on my draft and final magazine, but just used mid shots on my preliminary. While doing test shots for my magazine, i got my models do do a large variety of poses such as, serious, silly and doing something to engage with the audience such as singing. You can see some of these examples at the bottom of this page. Using other images which are not posters shows the audience who else to expect inside without having to use any text and adding too much information on the cover. As well as needing images on the cover, text will also be needed to give a snippet into the stories inside the magazine. On my preliminary i put 3 cover lines onto the cover to show what was inside, on my draft i didn't put much text to see if it would be just as good with out text. However, after that i released that in order to attract an audience, you need to get the engaged using gripping cover lines which will attract the reader and make them want too read it.

I feels as though throughout this process my Photoshop skills have developed and i have learnt a lot more about this. I have learnt how to arrange layers in the best way possible to bring forward the right layers and how to crop and rearrange images. When working with my target audience i found out that the more layers the better and how to add more layers but keeping it look straight forward. My final cover contains about 60 layers but looks like there is only about 20. On my contents page i learnt how to align my text to make it look neater as well as it creating more space. Overall the thing i have improved on greatly is the layout of all my pages. At the bottom you can see my old double page spread and my new one. I found out from this how effective columns can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment